Thursday, February 16, 2006

Job vs. Career


Food For Thought....

Most of us have jobs. Some of you are still in college earning your degree to hopefully achieve a good job. Some of us left our jobs to pursue higher studies (Masters/Ph.D.) to attain a higher level of personal and career growth.

But what kind of situation are in now? Do you consider your current work a job or a career? I mean think about it. In this day in age, when the cost of living is increasing (especially in Kuwait), do we have the luxury to have our dream job or career? Or is it that we take any kind job, regardless of your area of study, just to make ends meet and pay the bills. Are you obliged to settle for a decent job (even though its not what you have in mind for a career), for the sake of living a some-what comfortable life, or just getting by, or able to save up to settle down and get married, etc....the reason's are endless.

How many of you have graduated from college with a solid intended major of choice, and is now working in job in a total irrelevant feild? Why is that? Not enough jobs in your feild? or not enough pay? And would you settle for less of a pay, just to be in a job of what you really wanted to do?

For example, I for one graduated with Advertising and Marketing from college in 2002. SO logically, being on my own, I thought the only place to work is an Advertising Agency. Was I right? NO! Low and behold, I got a job here in Kuwait in a local advertising agency. Good job...but bad career move in my part. Out of experience (and its not the same for all people), working in an Ad Agency was not for me. You become some-what a "slave" for the clients that want creative items. Driving all around Kuwait to client meetings, obeying their requests, and doing to the impossible just to please them 'cause money is at stake. I told myself...I dont like this kinda life for a career. College textbooks made it out to be a peachy and rosy career. But reality bit me in the ass and showed me otherwise. However, this is MY experience, but I know many people in the same field working in Ad Agencies, and loving every moment of it (for them, that job is a career, while for me it was just a job).

So what happened next? I left that company which later closed down due to bankruptcy. Jazz was in need of a job. Seach here, search there. Apply here and there. Then came a job opportunity that was irrelevant to my feild....Human Resources in a newly established institution. An offer was given. Should I take it? I didn't know anything about HR, but it was a chance of lifetime. SO I took it, and it was the best choice I ever did. Granted it was a job instead of a career, but I learned a lot of new things, I gained new insight of the real job world, which can be harsh sometimes, and I met AMAZING people in that place, who I now consider...my life! Kleio is one of them. So Kleio, how did I do? ;) The good thing about this place was the chance to grow within the institution. After a year in HR, I was then transferred to the PR and Marketing Department, and have been there to this date. Now I consider my current job a career since I've been here since 2003. I get to do all the advertising and marketing stuff I always wanted to do, but with a twist, plus job security :) I realized, I dont have to work in a Advertising Agency, just because its my major.

The moral of the story: When finding a job, don't restrcit yourself, be flexible, make some sacrifices...and you will eventually find your dream career. It worked for me, and it can work for you :)

So what's your story?

19 Comments:

At 3:35 PM, Blogger Kleio said...

Since you addressed me directly in your post I'll comment on that part first. You did great! It's true, you switched into a job that you had no background in, but we all did that at that time (I think no one more so than me!!), and we all got to learn something totally new and excel in it. Because the opportunity was the institution and the experience, which was totally life-altering, wasn't it? Because of the people we met and friends we made, and because of the magnitude of it all...of what we did (and you still do). Trust me, that experience will take you anywhere you want to go in life. It is HUGE. And yes, we all have job security there because we are a part of it. And so while you started off there with just a job, you have managed to turn it into a career, and you still have a lot of room to grow even more there. Same with me. I know I'll always have somewhere to return to once I'm done here. And it's about to get even better...

Yeah, I guess you never know where life is gonna take you professionally, but sometimes taking that risk into something totally unknown, like we did, can totally change your life. The great thing about Kuwait is that there really are a lot of opportunities - you just have to look and be willing to take risks. But in Kuwait, if you're good, you can be a big fish in a very small pond and really make a name for yourself, whereas outside, you can have the same skills and talent but you're just another tiny fish in a huge lake!

Good post.

 
At 3:39 PM, Blogger Purgatory said...

You know misscosmo and the gurls will look at this and give you hell don't you :P?

 
At 4:25 PM, Blogger The Stallion said...

I graduated with a Finance degree and work in an insititution where I can put the degree to good use but the position I was given doesn't let me use what I have been taught to the full extent!

I love my job and it's great experience! I'm making alot of good connections and enjoying my time so to say!

I've tried applying to firms where my degree would be put to good use but due to the whole laziness of HR depts , they take their sweet time to look at applicant's paper works! Some firms lose the application and paperwork which is something hard to believe! When a firm takes thier sweet time to do things it's just a way to show me that they don't care and that the organization has bad work ethics! Anyways, when I got my current position other firms gave me offers but I rejected those offers cause since I wasn't worth thier time they aren't worth mine!

 
At 5:52 PM, Blogger Purgatory said...

Any of you graduate cum laude?

Just wanted to say that :P

 
At 8:11 PM, Blogger Kleio said...

I graduated magna cum laude. ;)

 
At 10:04 PM, Blogger Caffeinated said...

Right now I finally have a job...and so far, I'm loving it! Yes, it's part time, so that means the pay is *ahem*, but I am crazy about it...amazing people, ;) and I learn something new everyday. It relates to my degree, but I still need to look for full time work. I hope it will be where I am now, but I might have to go somewhere else...that has something unrelated to my field :( . That is the harsh reality, but we all do what we can to save up for the future..be it more school, or something else.

 
At 12:46 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I could call my current position a career but then again I don't know if I would feel the same in the next years to come. The company that I am with right now is multi-sate and just now expanding in OH. So there is a lot room for growth on this side of the map. As for job security I am glad you guys can talk about that. Because in the USA today I don't think there is such thing as Job security. All the companies are playing monopoly. It's either this company is closing or is merging with a different company to be finely bought by another shark. I see lots of people that change careers several times in the span of 40 years. Going back to school to get a different degree hoping that would be the answer. I don't know what you guys think but the line: "Go to school get a good education and find a good JOB, and you will be set for life" doesn't exist anymore. Or a very small percentage at least can really say that. So I guess it's a wait and see game. We are going thru lots of changes maybe the best is yet to come. I don't know. But if I had to choose I will rather have my own business that is for sure. I can work very hard and enjoy or even Love my career but I will always be building somebody else dream. I would rather build my dream. Hmmm I sound naive but that's I want and I am sure that I will accomplish. It's just a matter of making a decision and backing it with actions. So these are my thoughts....
Now you can give me doze of reality if you wish :))

 
At 8:59 AM, Blogger Purgatory said...

So many thoughts in my mind, but will refrain :)

 
At 12:00 AM, Blogger Nunu-San said...

I've always thought that you love your job! =/

 
At 1:53 AM, Blogger Dr.Lost said...

hehe.. im sure u didnt study english lit coz u cant spell the word "field" thats for sure ;pp

glad u're happy :) cant relate, i kinda cant work anywhere but in my field.. but of course u know that already..

 
At 4:18 AM, Blogger Erzulie said...

Glad that you're happy where you are :) Hmmm...you might come in handy when I graduate: I'm in Advertising too! And I LOVE it :)

 
At 9:02 AM, Blogger U.E. said...

Doing nothing remotely related to my field of study. Of course, my field of study was a default because I have no idea what I want to be when I grow up.

Hoping to fall into something I love someday!

 
At 9:38 AM, Blogger Jazz Central said...

Kleio: WOW...thanks for the high praise. I know you speak out of experience because I worked closely with you in both depts. First in HR, and when I was trasnferred to Marketing, you were my first client. I always thought itw as funny when I bring to you sample for the works you needed, and you would whip out the ruler to make sure everything is alligned properly...LOL...I loved that! But you were right...working togther in that institution is totally "life-altering" as you said it. We've been through alot, but we did the enexpected with flying colors..at least I think so :)

Purgatory: How come..I said nothing wrong! But I wish I graduated cum laude!

stallion: it must be frustrating to apply to jobs that you believe will put your education in good use, but their stupidity will make you think otherwise. But its great you found a position that you like and enjoy and has the opportunity for you to grow and excel in! Good for you and I know you will grow grow grow! :)

Caffeinated: I'm so happy for you that you found a job you like. Thats very important. And by the way, I know you are handling it very well. Grab it and make it yours! This way, it can open doors for that full time position you are looking for ;)

Diamon: The good thing is that your company is expanding, which leads to career growth and other promising opportunities. Hope you get what you want :) And it's true that "Go to school get a good education and find a good JOB, and you will be set for life" doesn't exist anymore. Seems alot of people are a getting crappy jobs even though they spent alot of time in money for a degree. BUt life looks good for you in building your own dreams instead of someone elses :) hehehehe...i sound like a phychic don't I? "Call me now Dah-ling for your free readin!"....hehehehe

7tenths: I think so...you crack me up all the time. The funny moments are when you make a funny remark without being intentionally funny...now thats stand up comedy material :)

Nunu: I do love my job now. I had to go through hell and back to get what I have now. So yalla, apply here too. YOu will enjoy it :)

Dr. Lost: hehehehe...let it slide man...I was typing fast :) LOL. Even though you cant work anywhere else except in your feild, i know you will do wonders. I for one will only come to you and 7tenths if I need medical attention. WAsta baby!!!! hehehehe...JK

Erzulie: YAY...another ad freak like me! Let me know if you need anything :) Are you going to the Adeaters this year?

Homer Al-Simpson: I like that quote cause its so true :) Thanks :)

 
At 9:40 AM, Blogger Jazz Central said...

Unknown Enity" You will fall into something you love someday. We all deserve it. It will come sooner than you think :)

 
At 9:53 AM, Blogger Alia said...

I second every word

وعلى قولة إخواننا المصريين "يسلم فمك" يا جاز

i guess you know my story

 
At 5:52 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Hey, Dah-ling it it!:) very funny

You make sure you keep up the writting because I will be waiting for my daily read.

 
At 5:32 AM, Blogger Erzulie said...

I'm in the national advertising competition. We're handing in our plans book March 1 i.e. it's getting pretty hectic. March 8 is presentation day and I'm one of the five presentors. Whoever wins goes to district, and whoever wins there goes to San Fran for nationals. Fingers crossed ever so tight.

 
At 11:20 AM, Blogger 2 Second Club ® said...

I graduated with a hospitality degree, I work in online trading for an investment company, and dream of being a bar tender in a Manhattan hip lounge!!.. and I am not kidding.. lol

 
At 9:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I work at FedEx and I hate my job to the point where I wake up every morning cussing since my job consist of pushing and pulling 5000 pound containers, going to meetings where they do nothing but criticize and put us down and showing no mercy and appreciation. I graduated with a IT degree and have not been able to get a job in my field for the past year. I got so frustrated with this hopeless "career search" that I just given up on it. For those of you that "love your job" good for you. Enjoy it while you can.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home